Explore the blog
Monday, October 21, 2013

NYC Birthday Girl

A few weeks ago, my buddy Andrew asked me if I would make a card for his sister's birthday. When I asked what kind of card he would like, he said anything that had to do with shopping or New York. Luckily, I recently realized that I work not too far from one of my favorite craft stores here in the city, The Ink Pad. I ran over one afternoon and picked up a NYC stamp. Here is what I came up with:


Before I stamped the skyline, I took out my distress inks and tried to recreate a night time palate. It was a bit difficult to be honest and it took a few tries. I used a combo of Weathered Wood and Black Soot and just to give it a bit of light, I gently dabbed some Victorian Velvet in the middle. To create the moon effect I simply put a circular piece of paper down before blending my colors and then swooshed some weathered wood on it after to make it look cloudy.

When I added the skyline stamp, I used a silver sharpie to highlight some areas. In retrospect, I wish I had used a different marker. I added the silver with a paint brush because it was SO overpowering, but I really should have used a thinner marker.


The sparkly heel was cut from the Bridal Shower Cricut cartridge and I cut out an identical one in black to give it some dimension. I added a Birthday Girl sentiment to finish it off. Hopefully this was a good combination of New York and shopping!


Whould you like to comment?

  1. Great card Michelle! Love all the NYC icons. I've never been to New York but I just look at this card and I know that this is it.
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete