Explore the blog
Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Boss Birthdays

I started my current job last July. If you knew me in college, you knew that I had always dreamed of being in publishing. All of those 2000's rom-coms of city gals jetting to work in heels holding a Starbucks coffee in one hand and the paper in the other just got to me. Plus, I was an English major, so it was very fitting. (FYI: I don't even drink coffee and I usually have a book, not the paper with me!)

It took me a really long time and lots of frustrating jobs to get to where I am today. And I'm no fool, either. I know I am hella lucky to have gotten here and by here I mean Children's Publishing. I also know that finding a boss that is both friend and mentor is like hitting the Mega Millions. It's.Not.Easy.

But here I am!

So for her birthday, I wanted to make something special. At this point, it was only about a month and a half in so I was still getting to know her. I wanted it to be sophisticated with a floral palate.



For this, I found a really pretty cherry blossom pattern at Michael's so I used that for the bottom. The trim is from Martha Stewart of course and I used some embellishments that I had in my trusty box.

For her actual present, I wanted to do something she could use at work. She has an adorable daughter so I figured instead of just getting a frame, I would make one. Using that same Cherry Blossom pattern, I cut them out in little triangles and pasted them onto a regular frame. I then used a basic pink distress pattern for contrast. She really liked it which was a relief!


Here's a closer look at the collage. 



Would you like to comment?